About my Blog

This blog is to showcase all the cookies I make and decorate and am hoping to sell via my page links on the side bar, but for now just browse the site and the 'cookie gallery' and enjoy because I certainly enjoyed making each and every one of them.

Jun 9, 2012

Daniel's Graduation Cookie



click to enlarge

I wanted to make this cookie for my only cousin who is graduating this year. 
Surprising, seeing as I have 35+ cousins and every graduation season sees at least a couple of them graduation from one school or another these days. If you saw my last cookies for the Cathedral/Chatard rugby team, he graduated from the second of those schools: Bishop Chatard High School. He didn't play rugby, but he did play football for the State Championship team and he also grew to love lacrosse in the years he played there. 

Daniel is not only excited to graduate from Chatard, but to start at Purdue next year! I have not had a lot of success executing split cookies where the two or three themes of the cookie are not really integrated, but separate ideas placed on the same cookie space. This would have to be my most successful attempt yet....let's just say some of the other ones were not even good enough to put up for people to see :) Luckily they were just experiments for family members and at least they tasted good!

Since I had more space to work with for the high school images, I gave a large percentage of cookie space to those while keeping the college logo standing alone for what I think is greater visual impact. To make the two different color schemes work, I chose to make the text next to each school reflect that of the other school's colors so as to create a smoother transition between the two different themes.  In that same effect, I chose to do the border around each school's section in the the opposite school's colors. I believe that really helped the cookie as a whole become a complete design and alleviated my issues with the split themed cookies.

One thing my cousin was impressed with was that I used the correct colors of his lacrosse stick and when he asked how I knew what his lacrosse stick looked like, I had to fess up to some serious facebook stalking to try and make sure I got everything right. :) I love trying to make sure the cookies are as custom as possible, because even if most people don't notice, I like to know that the person the cookie is for really feels like this cookie was made just for them. I know Daniel felt that way since I got to be there for his party and he was able to tell me himself.

That's always the best feeling. So, thank you Daniel, and 
CONGRATULATIONS again!!


No comments: