About my Blog

This blog is to showcase all the cookies I make and decorate and am hoping to sell via my page links on the side bar, but for now just browse the site and the 'cookie gallery' and enjoy because I certainly enjoyed making each and every one of them.

Jun 10, 2011

Tie-Dye Cookie

 
This post will be more of a progression through the creation of this cookie, 
and what a progression it was!

click to enlarge

I have to say that I even surprised myself with how well this Tie-Dye cookie turned out! The order came in from a woman and her daughter who was graduating and wanted a tie-dye and peace sign cookie for her graduation party. That was it, no words, no reference to graduation, just the design. So, I thought that I would go all out and create a really bright, really fun tie-dye design that took up the whole cookie, then overlay some white and outlined peace signs to finish. Well, that was the plan and that's what ended up being the final product, but in between was a lot of work!! 


It started out simple enough with adding each color around the center and it was going quicker than I had thought it would, but the minute I moved outside of the compacted center area that's when the work started. That first picture probably took about an hour and half. From that point to finishing the tie-dye probably took another 6-7 hours... a couple of breaks included. 

click to enlarge

I LOVE the look of this cookie just the way it is here. The colors and design are just so much fun and it was such a learning experience to complete just this part of the cookie. I've never done anything like this so the approach I took was an experiment, and although it took sooo long to complete, the final product was amazing (apologies for boasting, but I loved this cookie :)


click to enlarge


Another hour or 2 and the cookie was done. Quite a feat! The outlined peace signs are filled in with sugar flakes to create some sparkle while allowing the tie-dye to show through. The solid peace signs are painted with ivory iridescent paint so that all the peace signs stand out and sparkle against the more matte background. The contrast worked really well and helped the peace signs stand up to the brightness of the tie-dye. Since the Tie-dye design didn't continue around and down the side of the cookie I put a simple white scallop around the edge to make it a clean look. 


Another good addition to this cookie was the colored sugar flakes around the edge. The picture does it little justice, but as the flake colors run together they continue the tie-dye theme. The effect was a pleasant surprise as I have never used the flakes on a border and usually use sprinkles. Just another addition to my repertoire :) 



No comments: