About my Blog

This blog is to showcase all the cookies I make and decorate and am hoping to sell via my page links on the side bar, but for now just browse the site and the 'cookie gallery' and enjoy because I certainly enjoyed making each and every one of them.

Jun 5, 2011

Maddie's Birthday Cookie

click to enlarge


Be careful what you tell me about the cookie recipient because it's likely to end up on their cookie. Since I don't know a recipient and all I have to go off of is the orderer's info, that's what I do.  So when I got the order for Maddie's cookie and was told that she likes basketball, soccer, and tubing behind a boat, that's what ended up on there. Not that that's a bad thing of course! I really liked the way this turned out. 

When I was designing the cookie the first thing that came to mind was the fact that a part of all three things that she liked (the basket and soccer ball and the tube itself) were round and would fit together nicely spaced around the cookie and create a very interesting composition while the center would be a big bright 11 that I  make stand out as much as possible. After I had decided on all of that, I thought that filling the rest of the remaining space around each object with a theme appropriate background would really help bring everything together. A grass field for behind the soccer ball, a net for behind the basketball, and a wake made by the tube to show it in action. The finished product was successful though I had some doubts while executing it.

 I really liked the way the whole of the design works together though each individual object stands out on its own as well.  I will say it again, the picture never does the cookie justice, but I heard it a lot about this cookie, especially about the soccer ball, and I have to agree. The soccer ball was actually one of the best parts about this cookie, it had 3 dimensional shape for each of the hexagons as well as clear sprinkles and iridescent paint to highlight and create more depth. Though the average viewer doesn't recognize the tube at first from the picture, in real life with its dimension it has real character and Maddie knew exactly what it was from all her years of tubing on Geist Lake. 

Even with the center design all complete the whole cookie wasn't complete until I added the 'Happy Birthday Maddie' around the edge which made the whole thing a coherent circular design perfect for my circular cookie!

This cookie was not only fun but really let me work on some techniques to make my designs a bit more 3 dimensional and interesting. I think that aspect really helped this cookie and brought it to a new level. In the end it was fun to make and even more fun to look at....I guess for those lucky people at the party it was fun to eat too  :)


No comments: