About my Blog

This blog is to showcase all the cookies I make and decorate and am hoping to sell via my page links on the side bar, but for now just browse the site and the 'cookie gallery' and enjoy because I certainly enjoyed making each and every one of them.

Jun 12, 2011

Kelton's First Birthday Cookie



click to enlarge

My sister-in-law's nephew just turned one and to celebrate that special occasion his mom contacted me to make a cookie for the event. She told me that the theme was going to be giraffes and circles and sent me an image of his adorable bedding from which I got a lot of inspiration. I decided to use the patchwork design of the circles to create yet another circle containing a graphic of a giraffe that I found particularly cute. Because I wanted the focus to be on the design aspect here and the birthday boy can't read I used a smaller but more artful font to convey the birthday message. Together the simple giraffe and the simple lettering work well within the patchwork design of the circles. 

Nothing about this cookie is the biggest or most attention grabbing, but each simple element works well with the others creating a complete and coherent design with enough detail to keep it interesting and exciting. 

My favorite part has to be the border. The white is a great contrast to the middle graphic and the thin and random colored lines make it a lot of fun while being a clean ending to the cookie. 

The colors are one reason this cookie is successful. Thankfully! 
I have used this palette before and due to poor execution of the colors I felt  that the cookie as a whole suffered. I believe I remedied that with this cookie so that each color compliments the other and works well with the brown and the white.

mini cookie just for the birthday boy
   
Since traditionally there is a special little cake or slice of cake made for a 1 year old's birthday, and to capture that candid messy eater shot that parents love, I was asked to create a cookie for that purpose with maximum icing for the birthday boy to dig in to. 

As I was making this little 6 inch cookie, all I could think about was how good this little cookie looked covered in all that icing!!! Poor Kelton almost didn't get his cookie because everyone around my house including myself thought it looked so yummy :) We managed to restrain ourselves and the final design was just perfect for the little guy. One more patchwork circle with a big shimmery "1" all set against the white background with the giraffe spots all along the edge and there it is, a personalized cookie just for Kelton on his first birthday. 

No comments: