About my Blog

This blog is to showcase all the cookies I make and decorate and am hoping to sell via my page links on the side bar, but for now just browse the site and the 'cookie gallery' and enjoy because I certainly enjoyed making each and every one of them.

Apr 30, 2011

Michigan Graduation Cookies


click to enlarge

My cousin graduated from the University of Michigan today!

Her mom contacted me with an order for two cookies in celebration of the weekend. The first cookie, the one pictured above, is a more personal one documenting her time and interests while at Michigan and also her future plans which include a move to DC!  Represented in the cookie is Michigan football, her sorority Alpha Chi Omega which includes their symbol the lyre and their flower the red carnation, and the Phi Beta Kappa key which is the symbol of her academic honor society. Of course, I couldn't forget to make Michigan the center of attention in this cookie! Meg absolutely loves the school and everything it stands for as do her parents and this day was a celebration for all of 4 great years at Michigan.

 Congrats Smeg! :D

click to enlarge

There are 9 more congratulations that need to be extended as well. One for each of the other housemates that have all lived together at 849 Tappan for 2 years. When I heard that the next cookie I needed to decorate was for 10 housemates who are all graduating, I knew just what to do for the design. I decided that I would create the Michigan sign again, but that this time it would serve as the base for a house. All that I needed to add was the roof, a few areas of siding, and the address and I had created a unique representation of their beloved house and university.

It was important to include each girls name on the cookie and with there being 10 girls, that took a little planning. In the end the continuation of text around the edge of the cookie was a good look and the addition of a graduation cap above each name really brought the whole theme of the cookie together.

To make the cookie a bit more special I added some delicate yellow detailing around the graduation year and between each of the girls names to connect that aspect to the simple scallop border. I was very happy with how well both of the cookies turned out and so happy for all of the girls on such a big day, especially for my cousin!!


No comments: