About my Blog

This blog is to showcase all the cookies I make and decorate and am hoping to sell via my page links on the side bar, but for now just browse the site and the 'cookie gallery' and enjoy because I certainly enjoyed making each and every one of them.

Apr 27, 2011

Secretary's Day Cookie

click to enlarge

A big thanks to an old friend for passing on this link to her mom. I was so excited when she contacted me and happy to create a cookie for the mother of a family that has meant a lot to me since my childhood.

Formerly Secretary's day, April 27th is now referred to as administrative professional's day, but that's a bit much to try and put on a cookie! So, instead of trying to put a label on this cookie I decided to pick a symbol that would represent the day best and let that be the message. Since the day is about thanking those who do all the little things that make any office run smoothly, I thought that flowers can literally say 'thank you' as this bouquet does while being a beautiful centerpiece and conversation piece.

Since this was for the administrative professionals at a local High School I chose to use the schools colors in the bouquet and in the vase which includes the school's crest as well. I haven't done many specific flowers in my cookies except for the gerbera daisy bridal shower cookie up until recently and I am learning how best to create each unique flower out of icing. The daises were simple but very striking when I added in the purple while the yellow roses were a challenge, but I ultimately figured out the best approach and now feel confident in creating them for future cookies. The message cards were a simple way to get the message of the day across without having to say specifically on the cookie 'Happy Administrative Professional's Day' which created a simpler and cleaner design which I really like.
 
What better way to express your thanks for someone's hard work than with a beautiful bouquet that can also say exactly what you want with message cards?  Well how about a beautiful bouquet that says exactly what you want to say but then satisfies your sweet tooth when the novelty wears off...yeah I think that's better :)

Thanks to all those 'Administrative Professionals' who do such great work, especially those at Guerin Catholic High School who were so gracious and kind when I delivered the cookie.


mmmm....individual size cookies



As I try to expand whatever it is that I am doing in terms of selling my cookies I have been advised that I might try and include an option of selling additional smaller cookies along with the large cookie so that it feeds more people and perhaps delays the cutting of the cookie. Some people apparently have a problem with this. I personally don't understand that and would prefer to dig in as soon as possible, but the feeding more people is always a good thing.

So my mom set off to try and convert our unique recipe for the large cookie into individual sized cookies. This was our first attempt and though we might change some things about the baking process, and I'll have to figure out some better designs, the taste was right on and they are something I would be happy to include with any order!