About my Blog

This blog is to showcase all the cookies I make and decorate and am hoping to sell via my page links on the side bar, but for now just browse the site and the 'cookie gallery' and enjoy because I certainly enjoyed making each and every one of them.

Apr 1, 2011

Young Baker's Birthday Cookie

Another order for my best customer :)
 
click to enlarge


My Aunt asked me to design another birthday cookie, 
this time for her 5 year old granddaughter who loves baking and using her kitchenaid. (The Girl's Birthday Cookie was for another granddaughter and was a big success)

I started with the Birthday design template that I use unless there is a  request for a more specific design, but in my sketches I got so caught up in the idea of adding baking stuff to the cookie that I forgot to leave room for the 'Happy Birthday' and her name! I ended up having to cut out some of the number to fit the name, but it was an easy fix and I like the way it emphasizes her name against the white background. Of course I had to incorporate a replica of her kitchenaid mixer, and the rest of the cookie I filled with her favorite things to bake like cookies and cakes. 

The color palette turned out better than expected and the lime and pinkish lavender contrasted and complimented the turquoise base sooo well, enhancing the design of the cookie. A cookie can always look great in a sketch, but the colors are key to making it work.

I love to use the fact that a cookie is for a little girl as my excuse 
to add as many sparkles and sprinkles to a cookie as I can!!! And this one was no exception. The '5' is filled with white sugar flakes and then finished with the swirl details. I used silver edible paint to make everything that would be metal shine and sparkle, I used the iridescent sugar pearls around the edge, and then added even more of the sugar flakes to the cupcake icing around the edge. 

 


The border of this cookie is my absolute favorite design element 
of not only this cookie, but maybe any of the cookies I have created!! 
This was the first time I used an object and not just an icing technique as a starting point for the border design. Ally also bakes cupcakes and I thought that the sides of the cookie would be a perfect place to add them so they looked as though they were standing up. The top of the icing then comes over the edge. So, from above it creates a border around the central design and from the side it is a unique design in itself. I was so happy when the actual product turned out as well as my mental image. I wish that would happen more often :)

I hope Ally loves this cookie as much as I loved making it for her. 

Looks like she did!! :)

Click to enlarge


1 comment:

Unknown said...

WOW !! You've outdone yourself Jennifer !! I'm sure Ally loved it.