About my Blog

This blog is to showcase all the cookies I make and decorate and am hoping to sell via my page links on the side bar, but for now just browse the site and the 'cookie gallery' and enjoy because I certainly enjoyed making each and every one of them.

Mar 26, 2011

Cancer-Free Tattoo Cookie

click to enlarge

After a battle with bladder cancer that left her with a scar, my sister-in-law's younger sister decided to put a tattoo over that scar and for five years the scar and the tattoo are all that she has left from her battle, because she has successfully been cancer free for that entire time, which is truly amazing!

To celebrate that anniversary, my sister-in-law asked me to make her a cookie. This was truly a custom cookie. I knew that she had a tattoo so I suggested that we make the cookie and the anniversary very personal and very special by recreating the tattoo that means so much to her. 

The tattoo itself is a very intricate, detailed and highly personal reflection of a very hard time, so I used orange (her favorite color) and green along with a bright white to contrast and compliment the very artful tattoo that an artist had created just for her. The white border around the top of the cookie and highlighting the date of remission, along with the multiple details I included in it, contrast well with the center image making both elements stand out and work cohesively together. 

I do not have the skill of a tattoo artist, but I was rather proud of my work here recreating from a cell phone image what an artist spent hours designing and applying. The fact that it was to commemorate something so special and so meaningful not only to my sister-in-law's sister and  family but on a different level to me as well made this cookie very personal and something I was very proud to be able to surprise her with.

Congratulations Karen!


No comments: