About my Blog

This blog is to showcase all the cookies I make and decorate and am hoping to sell via my page links on the side bar, but for now just browse the site and the 'cookie gallery' and enjoy because I certainly enjoyed making each and every one of them.

Mar 6, 2011

Omelets and Experiments

New idea.
Sugar Cookies!!

Although the chocolate chip cookie recipe I have is fantastic I thought it would be good if I added a sugar cookie recipe into the mix as well for a couple of reasons. First, it's always good to give people options when it's truly supposed to be something custom and second, the light color of a sugar cookie would give me a completely different canvas to work on. I wouldn't need to outline things in white icing any more to make sure they stand out against the cookie. 

10:30 pm Saturday
 Time for some experimentation...

I started my first and easiest experiment so late tonight due to an (on the house) extra shot in my cappuccino, which I had too late anyway, but I digress.  For this first attempt, I just used a couple of store bought sugar cookie dough rolls because I haven't looked around for a good recipe yet. It would be an understatement to say that I wasn't very optimistic when I started. I was so sure that the cooking time would be difficult to manage and what would come out would be burned and dark around the edge while being undercooked in the center, but...

I couldn't have been more happy to be wrong!!

All it took was a watchful eye and the cookie pretty much told me when it was done. Except for a raised lip around the edge from where to cookie raised up while cooking and then fell in the pan, what came out looked to be the perfect sugar cookie to decorate...but only time would tell. I simply cut the lip off with a knife and created a flat edge and that was that.

After it cooled and set I could tell it was the right density for decorating and then to make things better it pulled out of the pan with no problems. I removed the foil around the edge flipped it back over and voila!!! A perfectly even baked sugar cookie ready for decorating!!! Now all I need is my own recipe that reacts the same way and I'm in business...hopefully its as simple as I'm making it seem :) 

11:30 pm Saurday
Sugar Cookie Experiment #1...Success!

Fast forward (through a 1am trip to the ER with my brother) to the next morning.

 9:30 am Sunday 
Breakfast time

I had invited another of my brothers and sister-in-law over to the house for some homemade omelets and it was time to showcase and more importantly test my new cookie. (In addition to attempting to create the perfect cookie I am also working on the perfect omelet recipe as well and I'm getting pretty good at it in my humble opinion)

'popeye' omelet: 
spinach, broccoli, red pepper, pepper jack
 

Back to the Cookie...
I used the leftover icing from the Mardi Gras Cookie (see below) that I had made the day before and in between cooking the sausage and the other omelet ingredients and making made-to-order omelets for the fam I threw some 'decorations' on the cookie to hopefully brighten everyone's morning. 

The 'decoration' served another purpose as well. I needed to test the flavor of the decorator's icing with the sugar cookie and also see if the fact that I had to cut around the edge would distract from the integrity of the cookie and the design. That part is still up for debate, but thanks to my brother's suggestions I have some options to remedy that. There is however a very noticeable difference between the surface textures of the two different types of cookies. Although packed with chocolate chips and nuts the original cookie has a fairly even surface with a lot of little unobtrusive bumps whereas this first sugar cookie has larger crevasse that are more difficult to control the icing around. It's not a deal breaker, and I'm still waiting to see what my next experiment turns up, but for now I'm pretty happy it turned out this well and I'm excited for what I can do with the sugar cookie in terms of design now.

10:30 am Sunday
Time to dig in...

Why make a cookie if not to enjoy with family and friends? and did we ever enjoy it! It even made it around to a couple other family members that day so everyone could have a taste.


The cookie itself was evenly cooked from one end to the other with no discoloration around the edge. It has a very nice dense and chewy consistency that I adore in a good sugar cookie. The icing was perfect with the vanilla in the sugar cookie and the colors stand out so well against the light cookie color. Overall I am sooo excited to find the perfect recipe and start decorating these sugar cookies. I think people are going to love them and love the options that I can offer for a custom cookie.

No comments: