About my Blog

This blog is to showcase all the cookies I make and decorate and am hoping to sell via my page links on the side bar, but for now just browse the site and the 'cookie gallery' and enjoy because I certainly enjoyed making each and every one of them.

Mar 5, 2011

Mardi Gras Themed Fundraiser Cookie

click to enlarge


My youngest brother is embarking on a mission trip to Honduras 
this summer with some friends from High School. They are attempting to raise funds to pay for the trip and one of the ways to do that was to host a themed fund-raiser and present their plan for the summer to prospective donors. Seeing as Mardi Gras is right around the corner it was a perfect party theme and the house was expertly decked out to fit that bill. 

 I chose to stick with the Mardi Gras colors and accentuate them with a lot of fun detailing and accessorizing. 

Although the mask's shape is simple the icing is full of texture 
in the green and purple regions as well as being topped off with plenty of sparkling sugar flakes to create a great glittering effect for Mardi Gras. The eccentric mask is displayed against a stark white background so that it stands out as much as possible. However, unlike most white backgrounds I create this one's edge adds to the exciting feel of the cookie and is another element 
that makes the design whole.

To buffer the edge of the mask against the bright white background I utilized the green, purple, and gold shimmering edible powder that I can paint with.
I made the strokes dynamic and festive and topped it off with gold glitter stars that radiate out from the mask.

I utilized the white iridescent sugar pearls a lot in this cookie to add depth and detail to the mask and to the overall design. It not only added texture, but added to the beaded effect that is so important to the Mardi Gras celebration. The idea of Mardi Gras beads also plays into the border that I chose to create. The mask is attached to a string of beads that form the border all the way around the top of the cookie. The bottom of the border is just a festive collection of star tipped shapes in the custom green, purple, and gold colors that works well below the string of beads surrounding the cookie.



To finish of the edge I sprinkled the border with purple, green, 
gold, and black sugar sprinkles which was a nice finishing touch that I will utilize more often. This cookie makes a bold statement with the large white area and it's erratic edge, the use of multiple layers of detail, and the lack of any text, but it works especially well against the dark cookie and is brought together by the boarder. It fit in perfectly at the party and looked great with the elegant decor for the night. 

2 comments:

David said...

This cookie was a hit at the fundraiser which raised over $3500! Although I live in Colorado and could not attend the event, I got multiple phone calls and texts from friends and family raving not only about the design but also the great taste. They are going to send me some pictures of the cookie at the fundraiser that I will forward along to my sister to put up. Thanks for the cookie Jen!

Down Home Up North said...

Jenny-- this is just amazing. I knew you had talent but this is just extraordinary. Your attention to detail is phenomenal. Come to Mackinaw this summer. You'd be a big hit!