About my Blog

This blog is to showcase all the cookies I make and decorate and am hoping to sell via my page links on the side bar, but for now just browse the site and the 'cookie gallery' and enjoy because I certainly enjoyed making each and every one of them.

Dec 22, 2010

Annie's 13th Birthday Cookie

It's been 3 years since I made my first cookie...

click to enlarge

Today is my cousin Annie's 13th Birthday marking that occasion.
It was for her 10th birthday that I made the Dolphin Cookie 

This cookie was made the day of the party so it wasn't as uniquely designed as that first one, but I still fit her current interests and passions which are strongly geared towards music into the birthday template that I have used in previous cookies like the Girl's Birthday Cookie. 

Annie not only loves being in the band, but she is also into crafts and design just like I was at her age, so I knew she would appreciate all the little details I put into the numbers making that the focus. I really like the choice of colors used in this cookie. The contrast between the different greens in the numbers really emphasizes the detailing on top of the bright green background and makes the detailing and music notes stand out more than the similar design of the pink numbers in the girl's birthday cookie. The background of the numbers is also coated in clear sugar sprinkles making it shimmer and all the details on top pop that much more. 

The music notes are emphasized by blue sugar peals that give a nice texture over the whole cookie. With the title on the top and such an emphasis on the numbers and the horizontal bars with the notes running behind them there was an empty space on the bottom of the cookie that needed some detailing; A simple music note and some white icing and the cookie was brought together nicely without much effort.

To draw attention to that little detail I made the border around it by alternating the two contrasting greens only in that area. The rest of the border that goes around the entire edge is made from alternating blue and white icing to emphasize the focus colors of the greens in the center of the cookie. I really liked this effect of the border and think it worked to bring the cookie to a cohesive design.

Wow! 3 years...here's to many more and many more fun and inventive designs

No comments: