About my Blog

This blog is to showcase all the cookies I make and decorate and am hoping to sell via my page links on the side bar, but for now just browse the site and the 'cookie gallery' and enjoy because I certainly enjoyed making each and every one of them.

Dec 3, 2010

St. Thomas Basketball Party Cookie

click to enlarge
St. Thomas Aquinas (STA for short) is a small catholic grade school in Indianapolis where I coached the 5th grade girls C team for the 2010 basketball season. So, for the end of the year party I decided to chip in for the desserts and make a cookie for the girls.

The design is straight forward mostly because they don't have a visual mascot that I could use so I decided to use the school's name atop a basketball. I chose to make the name large and bold to stand out against the basketball (which is covered in orange sprinkles, since we are dealing with 12 year old girls after all :D ) The year and mascot name surround the ball and the bold central element is completed with yellow dots and white sugar pearls to make a fun statement in the center of the cookie.

A fun element to this cookie is that I was able to include all the girls names from the two 5th grade teams that year. I decided that a Tiger paw would be a cute little addition to accompany the names and add an element to tie it back in with the name in the center. It took me awhile to finally come up with the idea, but I think it turned out so well and made the addition of the names much smoother since I could form them along with the little icon. The color of the paw also correlates to the 5th grade team the girl was on that year either the blue or gold team. I also added a single sugar pearl in the center of the paw, again it's something not necessary to the design, but a detail that was fun and appreciated by my girls who each wanted the piece with their names and the paw. 

The simple but fittingly festive border is perfect for this cookie and brings together all the school colors in a new way that really finishes off the cookie well. Seeing all the girls so excited about having their names on this cookie really made it so worthwhile and the compliments from the parents (especially all the dad's) made me really glad that I decided to make this cookie to celebrate the girl's season.

(sorry for the poor quality of the photo)


No comments: