About my Blog

This blog is to showcase all the cookies I make and decorate and am hoping to sell via my page links on the side bar, but for now just browse the site and the 'cookie gallery' and enjoy because I certainly enjoyed making each and every one of them.

Dec 17, 2010

Cathedral Christmas Party Cookie

click to enlarge


My latest cookie was actually done in a bit of a rush, but I still did my best to make a fun and fitting cookie for the Cathedral girl's basketball program's annual Christmas party. I coached the freshman team so this again was a gift for the girls on my team as well as a way for me to chip in for the desserts in the pot-luck style party.

A couple of things needed to be included in the design: Basketball, Irish, and Christmas. I stuck to holiday colors because of the Christmas theme of the party and since the green works for both the school colors and the holidays it worked well for the cookie as a whole. 

I chose to do a similar design to my last basketball cookie.  At the center is a large basketball full of orange sprinkles, but for the holidays, I added a fun little twist and put the Santa hat on top of the ball. The hat actually added a lot of texture to the actual cookie, but sadly that part does not photograph particularly well. On the white fuzzy part of the hat, I used the same technique that I did to make the dog's fur a couple cookies back which adds depth and a more realistic look to the hat. I topped the white areas with clear sugar flakes that added just a bit more sparkle.

Overall, this is not my best nor my favorite cookie I've done and I could find many flaws that I would do differently given the chance, but for a last minute design I really did like some of the attributes of the cookie which I addresses above. It also worked very well for the casual event and the girls loved that I took the time to make something special for them. Most Important though is that the cookie tasted excellent and I left with an empty tray; always a good feeling.


2 comments:

Christina_Custom Cookies said...

It's March and St. Patrick's Day is on the way. These custom cookies put me in the mood to bake something similar to this, thanks!

Anonymous said...

Christina, I could not agree more, I cant wait to make some creations of my own. But how amazing are these cookies? Truly inspiring. I wish I could make cookies as beautiful as the ones being displayed. Well done Jennifer!