About my Blog

This blog is to showcase all the cookies I make and decorate and am hoping to sell via my page links on the side bar, but for now just browse the site and the 'cookie gallery' and enjoy because I certainly enjoyed making each and every one of them.

Jun 12, 2009

Sunset Housewarming Cookie

click to enlarge

When my brother was moving into his new house with his soon-to-be bride my mom asked me to make them a cookie for their small housewarming party. I knew that they were looking at beach themes and colors for the house and their laid back attitudes inspired this design.

I took a much more artistic approach to this design. In my 2D work in school I stick to a much freer looser look in my drawings and I decided to try and use that technique here to create the sunrise and the water with all the colors running together. I really like how the effect translates in the sunset and water reflection and gives a feeling of movement like that moment right before the sun disappears over the horizon when the last light spreads over the edge of the sky. A hammock hung between two palm trees and a bucket of cold beers complete the relaxing beach scene while the addition of the 'Home Sweet Home' title to a seemingly un-homey setting adds a bit of fun.

The sketchy feel of the cookie can be bit overwhelming so to break it up a bit I used the iridescent edible paint throughout the sand, on the beer bucket, and in the palm leaves to add some depth and highlight some specific areas. Without a defined border and the scene running off the edge of the cookie I think that the highlighting adds some more interest to the scene to allow it to continue over the edge and not need a boarder.



No comments: