About my Blog

This blog is to showcase all the cookies I make and decorate and am hoping to sell via my page links on the side bar, but for now just browse the site and the 'cookie gallery' and enjoy because I certainly enjoyed making each and every one of them.

Dec 2, 2012

Team Elite Cookie

click to enlarge
This is the first of two cookies my aunt asked me to do for my cousin and her various basketball teams.  This particular cookie is for her AAU team which happens to be having their final team party before the big tournament on the same day as my cousin's birthday...what a perfect occasion for a cookie!! :)

Most AAU teams don't have concrete logos as it's usually just a name and their colors that they use to brand themselves. So, since that was the case here for Team Elite I asked my aunt to send me a quick photo of my cousin's uniform hoping to find some direction. And there it was, my design inspiration. The swoop of the design on the sides of the uniform would be a perfect element to flank a basketball and give this cookie a unique look. These two elements alongside the ball, created a nice space for the messaging I needed to include as well, making it easily readable even though there were multiple messages included. 

Since all of these elements dominate the main look of the cookie, but did not fill the whole of the cookie well enough to call it a complete design, I turned to my background as a player and a coach and created a familiar drawing board in the background. You can see the key at the top of the cookie and all around that I created various play designs. Actually, I didn't have to dig too deep...those are from memory from when I was coaching...I hope I didn't give any of my secrets away :) They may not have been the most brilliantly designed plays, but for this cookie I think they were the perfect filler design against the bolder design elements.

I knew those little design elements would not be lost on a basketball team and from what I hear, they definitely weren't! The girls and Lily loved the cookie and it was absolutely perfect for the occasion celebrating a great season and gearing up for the big tournament.

No comments: