About my Blog

This blog is to showcase all the cookies I make and decorate and am hoping to sell via my page links on the side bar, but for now just browse the site and the 'cookie gallery' and enjoy because I certainly enjoyed making each and every one of them.

Jul 3, 2011

July Fourth Weekend Bash Cookies

A BIG party requires a Big Cookie order :)

That's why when my dentist was getting ready for her BIG annual party, she contacted me with an order for 3 cookies for this one gathering alone.

click to enlarge

Not much says 'Fourth of July' more than the American flag and fireworks so that's where I focused my designs. When it came to the flag, I didn't want to cover the entire cookie so I filled in all of the white areas of the waving stars and stripes and then simply outlined the red and blue colored areas. Once I added the red and blue colored sugar flakes the flag really took shape and made a bold statement while adding a little flare. The text is written in white over the white icing and outlined in a very thin blue so it seems as though the outline is all that is there. 
 

 Fireworks are trickier than you might think. I have tried to create fireworks on a cookie before for another 4th of July cookie some years ago. This attempt was surely an improvement, but still not what I had hoped for. I tried to create a fun combination of colors and sparkles that filled in the cookie and really burst with texture and detail and I succeeded in that, but for some reason they just will not come out the way I envision them. That is not to say that I don't like the way they turned out. It's just any designers curse that the final product will never come out as good as you see it in your mind. Well, there is always next year for a fireworks cookie that is as fantastic as I envision it, but this was as good an attempt as any and really did stand out at the party. 

 

Happy 4th Everyone.....
It's my favorite day of the year and a good day for the cookie business

1 comment:

Katie said...

I love the way you did the flag - turned out amazing!