About my Blog

This blog is to showcase all the cookies I make and decorate and am hoping to sell via my page links on the side bar, but for now just browse the site and the 'cookie gallery' and enjoy because I certainly enjoyed making each and every one of them.

May 3, 2012

Nursing School Graduation Cookie

click to enlarge

This was a pretty special cookie. The first cookie I ever made to sell to someone other than a family member was the Colt's Birthday Cookie. It was for my co-worker's sister Amber on her 29th birthday. Well, this cookie was for my now ex co-worker who contacted me to make another cookie for Amber, but this time it was to celebrate her graduation from the Ivy Tech School of Nursing. To get a repeat order is one thing, but it has been quite sometime since I've been in contact with this co-worker and for him to remember and seek me out for this occasion was very special for me.

I designed the central element with the nursing cross, Ivy Tech logo, and graduation cap originally when I sketched out the cookie. Beyond that, I had a rough idea of the other elements I wanted to showcase like the stethoscope and the nurses badge, but the rest came rather organically filling in the necessary space in the cookie. 

In that same method of creating new elements relative to the already existing designs, I came up with this border in response to the large and graphic central element. It wasn't something I had planned on having as such a large focus of the cookie, but the way it contrasts and compliments the central element make it one of my favorite elements on this cookie. I think this border really makes the cookie stand out and gives it a nice clean finish. I did take the liberty of continuing the design along the side by adding a heartbeat line for good measure and to bring home the nursing theme.

I was assured by my co-worker that the cookie was as good if not better than they remembered and that everyone there couldn't stop talking about it. Most importantly, I have some new clients from that order alone and I couldn't be more thankful for the opportunities and help I have received from my co-worker in helping me get these cookies going!



No comments: